Coming Out

• Okay, so, this is the first time I have ever admitted in any way, shape, or form to being attracted to guys on the internet or otherwise, so bear with me. I'm a little shy.

Let's get this over with.

I'm bi, but my preference is guys, and I'm tired of being in the closet. I don't care about having a relationship or anything, I just want to stop keeping this secret. Here's the problem: I've apparently put on a very convincing act for being straight. I've never hinted at liking another guy, never stared too long, never even joked about being gay. Even once at a summer camp "bro chill" one of my best friends half-jokingly accused another of my friends about being gay because he never talked to girls. He then turned to me and said "You don't talk to girls either, but I know you're straight." It's true, I don't really talk that much to girls, but that's attributed to my being kind of nerdy, not to any suspicion of a difference in orientation.

Anyway, the guy who said that is one of my best friends (he's also kinda sexy, but I'm pretty confident that he's straight), and I know he won't tell anybody if I come out to him, so I was planning on telling him first. It's just... can anybody tell me for what reason I can't seem to smooth out my nerves and just tell him? Why am I scared like this?

I really... I don't know where I'm going with this. I guess this thread is just a step to confirming to myself the reality which is that I like boys? Is anybody else like this?... Man I'm whining a lot.

Any tips on how to break it to him?
      I'm so uncertain, it's principle.
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      "We wear the mask that grins and lies"
    • Re: Coming Out

I know how nervous you feel. Trust me, been there, done that. And also trust me- no matter what you do, find the courage and do it. I remember when I first came out to my friends, I had really bad anxiety attacks for a couple of days, but once the reality set in. Oh man- it felt soooo good to have it off my chest, I can honestly say that about a week after I came out i was happier then i'd ever been ever before.
      [LEFT][COLOR="Black"]“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”[/COLOR][/LEFT]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][RIGHT]Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Just chillin' out down here at Kings Cross Station y'all! It's a bit foggy though... what's up with that?[/RIGHT][/COLOR]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

I guess, the reason you couldn't tell your friend is because you're afraid that he won't be friend with you once that he knew. But seriously dude, you should tell him. As what you said that he is one of your best friend, I guess you've done some connection to him that somehow give you an assurance that he won't let you down.
      If in case he let you down..,duh..
      at least you know who your true friends are..
      weLL..couldn't say more..Goodluck:)
      :wink:UndeRsTanding is the fiRst sTep to aCcepTance, and onLy wiTh acCepTance can tHeRe be recoveRy:wink:

A best friend usually would never leave you if you open up to them. I opened up to a friend that I started to like for a while, but to be honest it wasn't a good decision to start liking straight guys cuz it won't end up how you want usually(just depends how open ur friend is hahah). But after I opened up to him, my possibilities became more open as I began to learn about even more ppl who were like me. You'll learn eventually, but until then I would definitely suggest you tell him if you feel like you should, but try not to say you like him or anything, for now(in my opinion).
      http://www.neobux.com/?rh=64656C6C697374657237
      Earn money by looking advertisements! Help yourself and help me by using the link provided :D.

Time is the best solution. Everything I said I wouldn't ever do or want to do or admit to has changed over time. It's all about being comfortable with who you are and you need to be sure of yourself before you tell others.
      [CENTER]We live in a huge world and I want to see every part of it. Come with me? :D[/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Xtwigg19X wrote:

Time is the best solution. Everything I said I wouldn't ever do or want to do or admit to has changed over time. It's all about being comfortable with who you are and you need to be sure of yourself before you tell others.

Agree ^

But I totally understand what you're going through. It must have taken me three tries to tell my best friend. Coming out is hard as shit. Think about the situation and make sure you wanna tell him before you do it. Alcohol isn't a good idea (i outed myself to one of my friends when i was plastered, luckily he was chill). On another note, be careful cause falling for straight guys blows.

I honestly don't know what You Should do but I can tell you how it happened for me. I was a total loser through most of middle school and early high school. I told myself that I just didn't care what others thought, I was outside of all the cliques and all that. Honestly I did care and I was keeping myself in Loserville just because I was afraid to let people know who I really was. The day I came out to like the only friend I had, I felt more confident and happy than I ever had before. As I told more people (people who were sort of friends but not really) and the word spread through the school, I only felt better and better. Sure there were assholes who picked on me and teased me, but that actually made me feel kind of good too, because I realized they were just afraid of me in some way that they didn't understand and finally, I really didn't care what other people thought of me!!! Finally I could be just as cool as I wanted to be and no one else could "put me in a box" so to speak unless I let them. After that I was never a loser again. I was a clique all on my own and ended up with some amazing friends and more confidence than I ever dreamed of having. My parents found out on their own (Long Story) but they didn't really care, they just wished I had told them. Parents are very different from friends in that no matter what, you are going to care what they think. They gave you life, food, shelter, and in most families, love for as long as you can remember so how they react is bigger than any friend. But just remember that no matter what, you will survive their reactions. No way that a person treats you will kill you unless you let it. You have all the power in your own life and no one can take that away from you except yourself!

Just look at my avatar. The one on the right thats all shy and off to the side and lookin down is who I used to be. The one on the left thats standing straight up and lookin straight in the face of whoever comes up to him, and who is obviously more stylish, is me now that I don't hold back. Now that I know who I am and don't let anyone else put me down. Thats why I made that Avatar. Its my life story in a 100x100 pixel picture and whereas just three or four years ago I was depressed, repressed, and oppressed, now I love my life and I'm confident, happy, and starting to become successful now that I've graduated High School.
      20/M/Suquamish, WA, USA/Gay
      Ask me anything - www.formspring.me/jaythefay
      Watch my videos! - www.youtube.com/user/jaythefay

The post was edited 2 times, last by Avacraft: Adding more content. ().