The Troubles With Coming Out- A Rant

• The Troubles With Coming Out- A Rant

Hello, everyone! I'm fairly new to these forums, so I'd like this to be a sort of introduction to the kind of person I am. You may call me Minto, I am a homosexual male, and I hope to provide some outlook into various aspect of our daily lives. I expect I'll do one of these rants every so often, perhaps if a good topic should come up in my own life. Read if you want, all I ask is that you consider and perhaps offer your own opinion. Thanks!

All of us hve had the desire to come out at some point. I am no different. I know how difficult it is to face someone you know well- or not, if the situation may be- and admit something that, honestly, could change they way that person views you forever (but hopefully not!). Getting it off your chest is the most incredible feeling in the world, so why do we hide it from our friends and family?

Before I get into that, a short anecdote: I've only just recently "realized" my own homosexuality, and I've only been open about it with two very close, understanding friends. I go off to college in a year and I was imagining how I would handle the situation with the people I will meet there and, surprisingly, I feel like I would be able to be more open about my sexuality there than with my own friends. Why? It's the fear of your peers.

Or, more accurately, the fear of how your peers will respond. All of us probably have a small circle of good friends- you know, the kind that likes to hang out as a group, likes to go to movies together, etc.- that we've known for a long time. Unfortunately, I'll bet that most of us don't know most of our friends' views on the subject of homosexuality enough to be comfortable coming out to them. We're afraid of how they'll react; we're afraid they'll react negatively, or worse, disown or alienate us. It's a scary thought, harming a relationship you've spent so long to build. That's why it's easier to discuss it with strangers, or on the internet: if they judge you, who cares? You're not close with them.

I'm one of these people. I was lucky enough to have two friends I could be open about my sexuality with. I feel very blessed to have been able to tell someone; keeping it inside is a terrible feeling. But I also am afraid of how my friends will react- in fact, I know for a fact that at least two, possibly three, of them are very anti-gay. Of course, the cliche goes that if a friend can't accept you for who you are, they weren't really a friend in the first place. This, sadly, isn't true. But that's life, I suppose.

It might be difficult, but it's always worth it in the end to come out. Tell someone, at least. I was physically shaking when I first told my friend, but after a few days I felt better than I had in a very long time. It's worth it, trust me.

Anything you'd like to add (stories, thoughts, questions, etc.) are very welcome! Especially if you're considering coming out and you need that last little bit of support. . . we're here for you!

~MintoTaikuutta
    • Re: The Troubles With Coming Out- A Rant

I disagree. For me personally I would tell everyone and careless except that if your telling everyone its bound to get back to your parents and thats my problem. I worry about alienation with them not my peers. Especially, while I am still dependant upon them. If they were disown me I'd be forced to put myself through college which would be much harder. So, when I head off to college in 4-6 months I'm telling everyone and going to be out of the closet. I plan to surround myself with like-minded individuals and friends who are ok with my sexual orientation. :D And I will have no fear of my parents finding out. Of course I want to tell them but I think they are against it, but I highly doubt they would disown me but yeah. That's where my problems lie.
      [CENTER]We live in a huge world and I want to see every part of it. Come with me? :D[/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]