parents breaking up

• parents breaking up

my mums put up with my dad for over 24 years. recently he's always in a bad mood and shouts about nothing at any opportunity. she got so close to leaving last night, she packed a bag and everything. i know it'll probably be best for her if she leaves but they have a business together etc, it's a long and involved story. basically she has no where to go. and even though i know it'll probably happen when i go to uni i can see him actually going mental if she leaves. he's said if she goes he'll change the locks and she'll never come back but i know emotionally he won't let her go or move on. which won't be fair on her.

all my close friends parents are still together so i dont really have anyone to talk to about it. no one really knows what to say which is understandable....
      :/

thanks for listening.
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]
    • Re: parents breaking up

I'm sorry this is happening, it's never fun. But it's good that you know it's best for your mom instead of thinking she would be selfish for leaving.

Have you ever talked to your mom about it? I think she probably needs support and she could probably use some from you.

My parents almost split up about a month ago. They'd be having lots of fights and barely even talking and then on New Years Eve they had a huge fight and my mom said she was finding an apartment for herself. It didn't end up happening, but it still hurt a lot.

LostPostcards wrote:

I'm sorry this is happening, it's never fun. But it's good that you know it's best for your mom instead of thinking she would be selfish for leaving.

Have you ever talked to your mom about it? I think she probably needs support and she could probably use some from you.

My parents almost split up about a month ago. They'd be having lots of fights and barely even talking and then on New Years Eve they had a huge fight and my mom said she was finding an apartment for herself. It didn't end up happening, but it still hurt a lot.

thanks so much for your advise.
      i want to talk to her but i don't know what i should say. no kid wants their parents to split. :/
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]

It's possible that your mom feels similar to you, in that she doesn't really know how to approach the subject with you. She's probably torn on what to do, especially since she has nowhere to go. I, too, think it would be good if you talk with her about this. You don't have to be completely understanding of everything. It's understandable that you don't want them to split up and it's fine that you let her know that. Just be honest with your mom and tell her how you feel. It's a tough situation and it's even tougher to actually discuss it. Talking about it makes it more real and it makes you face the truth. So, your mom may even be hesitant to be completely honest with you. But you just have to let her know you understand.

Catch her at a time when she's not busy and you can have her full attention. You may even be able to use each other as pillars, so to speak, for support. This is hard on everyone, but maybe talking about it will give both of you some perspective.

Hope this helped.
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]