Any tips for anxiety?

• Any tips for anxiety?

I was diagnosed with clinical depression a good few months ago. I'd been feeling so down for months on end but had never really done anything about. I was offered anti depressants but I said no, I wanted to sort things out myself without pumping chemicals through my body. I've made some major decisions in my life in the past 4-6 months and I kinda feel like things are starting to settle down a bit, however I wouldn't say things are completely sorted..
      I'm going to get counselling sorted, in fact I am ringing a counsellor tomorrow and hoping to get things sorted as I really think I could benefit the help..

Anyways, I've always been quite a sort of nervous person in a way. I'm very outgoing and can talk to anyone kind of thing but I've always been a 'worrier'.
      I can work myself up over all the little bad things that could happen and make myself fret and get stomach aches etc. People say it's cos I'm too caring etc but recently I get worried over absolutely nothing. I say nothing, because when I actually stop and think about it, I cant think of a reason!
      I get nervous over stupid things like just going out for crying out loud!

I was just wondering if anyone has any good advice on how to make myself feel better about things? I'll be talking about this to the counsellor once I get it sorted but I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips..?

Sorry for ranting on :blush:
      [SIZE=3]Just Be Yourself :thumbsup:

[/SIZE]
    • Re: Any tips for anxiety?

BrunetteHeaded wrote:

I was diagnosed with clinical depression a good few months ago. I'd been feeling so down for months on end but had never really done anything about. I was offered anti depressants but I said no, I wanted to sort things out myself without pumping chemicals through my body. I've made some major decisions in my life in the past 4-6 months and I kinda feel like things are starting to settle down a bit, however I wouldn't say things are completely sorted..
      I'm going to get counselling sorted, in fact I am ringing a counsellor tomorrow and hoping to get things sorted as I really think I could benefit the help..

Anyways, I've always been quite a sort of nervous person in a way. I'm very outgoing and can talk to anyone kind of thing but I've always been a 'worrier'.
      I can work myself up over all the little bad things that could happen and make myself fret and get stomach aches etc. People say it's cos I'm too caring etc but recently I get worried over absolutely nothing. I say nothing, because when I actually stop and think about it, I cant think of a reason!
      I get nervous over stupid things like just going out for crying out loud!

I was just wondering if anyone has any good advice on how to make myself feel better about things? I'll be talking about this to the counsellor once I get it sorted but I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips..?

Sorry for ranting on :blush:

You have to understand that things will never be completely 'sorted'. We are living individuals in a changing world. We will always be trying to adapt. Its a process we all deal with.

You as well as anyone else can benefit from psychotherapy, just keep in mind that its also a process and you cant expect to get out of the first session 'fixed'.

Also I think you might be able to benefit from the thread I made on the depression forum to help explain why you might be experiencing these feelings and anxieties.

teenhut.net/depression-self-ha…inking-how-cope-them.html

Good luck.

I used to get really depressed over stupid things. Outside of drugs (only temporary relief anyways, every high has an accompanying down), I try to think of things in 2 ways to get over various problems:

1) Think of the larger picture, getting an F on a chemistry test doesn't mean you're going to be poor unless you choose to allow yourself to be. In the grand scale of things individual decisions even things you might consider major may end up meaning nothing.

2) Regardless of how bad you are, where you are, where you were or what you've done, there is always someone that is in a worse position and your problems are insignificant compared to theirs. I remember I felt depressed one day driving till I saw that

I'm sure psychologists/psychiatrists will both say there's 10000 other things you can do, those are just some that personally help me. If you're just feeling sad/down all the time over things that happen or deaths and can't seem to get over it, only thing I can say is consider support groups and if not religion. Sometimes all you need is someone else to talk to, other times you need hope.

Writing down what you feel

As a sufferer from anxiety and insomnia, i feel that writing down what i feel somewhere (a diary of sorts) is effective for me, especially when i get to the point where my thoughts are "clouded by darkness"

Then, a while after of writing them down and not looking at these notes, i take a look at them, and, in most cases, it has made me laugh because reading over what I've written, and it makes no sense as to why I'd think anything like that.

Try it maybe, maybe it'll work, maybe it wont. it's just a thought.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Really appreciated. I've rung the counsellor but she's only part time though she says she'll get back to me in the next few weeks and we can sort out and appointment. I think I need to take up a new hobby or something.. Recently I've started learning to drive so I've been on the roads a lot, I'm looking forward to passing my test so I've got that to look forward to and work towards to. Then once I can drive I'll look for a new job, preferably one with better pay and where I can get further in it, not a dead end job like mine feels.
      [SIZE=3]Just Be Yourself :thumbsup:

[/SIZE]